Here you will find the ins and outs to healthy strong hair without any yucky toxins getting in the way.
Beauty does come from within. This sounds like such a cliche, but it’s so true. We say “you are what you eat” and this is 100% true. Without a proper foundation how can we expect anything to have longevity and strength.
When you think of a new house, it always begins with a solid foundation. Or it should at least. If the foundation is cracked or crooked, that house is going to fall down, sag, crack; it will not last.
Our health is the same, including our hair.
FOUNDATION IS KEY!!
TOP FOUNDATION CHECKLIST
- Water – hydration is key. Our body is roughly 60% water. We use water in every aspect of our body (hair, skin, nails, joints, blood, metabolism….. etc.) It is so important to replenish water every single day. RULE OF THUMB : DRINK HALF YOUR BODY WEIGHT IN OZ A DAY.
- Healthy Food Choices – as tricky as this one is, it doesn’t have to be. Basically stick to the perimeter of the grocery store. Avoid processed foods as much as possible. Whenever feasible and possible, choose Organic and/or Grain Fed.
- Supplementation – because our food isn’t the same as it used to be, it has become necessary to supplement. The food around these days is often missing key digestive enzymes, vitamins and minerals. Supplementing has become mainstream and is very important. When choosing supplements, you want to look for a capsule that is in powder form, that is derived from food. This will enable our bodies to recognize them as actual food, which our body will then give permission to absorb. When we are able to digest and absorb these amazing nutrients you will be amazed at how fast and long your hair and nails will grow. You want to choose a bio-available vitamin and mineral complex, Omega 3, and a Cellular Supportive supplement.
- Collagen – is an incredible addition to your routine. You can find collagen in bone broth, or in an easy powdered form. Be sure you are using a grass-fed source or from a trustworthy brand that sources high quality marine form.
Top Foods for Hair Health rich in……
- Vitamin A – sweet potato, kale, spinach, carrots
- Vitamin B – whole grains, almonds, meat, fish, seafood, dark leafy greens
- Vitamin C – strawberries, peppers, citrus fruits
- Vitamin D – fish oils, mushrooms
- Vitamin E – vegetable oils, nuts, seeds, dark leafy greens
Easy habits towards Long, Strong Hair
- Choosing your shampoo and conditioner safely. It is so worth it to invest in a product that is actually healthy for your hair. And after you read #2, you will be saving so much money! There are often terrifying ingredients in our hair care products. Choose one that is chosen from botanical extracts and is free of words you can’t pronounce. (see below for ingredients to avoid)
- Refrain from washing your hair everyday. This can be a big stretch for some. But this is a big one in healthy hair. When we wash our hair daily, we strip it of it’s natural oils and protective barriers. Often leaving the hair dry, damaged and brittle. When we wash our hair every 3 or 4 days, we bring it back to life. Using a dry shampoo on the non wash days is a great way to maintain. The longer we practice this habit, the less greasy feeling your hair will get.
- Avoid the tight ponytails. They will most definitely damage your hair and cause a brittle line full of breakage. Use clips, or butterfly clasps instead.
What to Avoid In Your Products
Not only are some of the added chemicals and ingredients in our hair care products bad for your hair, but they can also be bad for your entire body. Your hair is alive, and is directly connected to your scalp and bloodstream. What you put on your hair, is going directly into your body.
- Fragrance : 3100 chemical wrapped under one umbrella of a word. These are devastating to our bodies. Linked to Cancer, Asthma, skin issues, hormonal and genetic issues. Plus so much more.
- Parabens : endocrine (aka Hormone) disruptor. These are messing with the natural hormones of everyone in your family. Did you know that they have found parabens in breast cancer cells.
- Sulphates : (most common – Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) – strips the natural oils from hair and scalp. May cause itching, dryness, redness, and may be corrosive to the skin. A potential carcinogen.
- Polyethyline Glycol : petroleum based (an actual plastic) which is found to help soften and lubricate skin and hair. This chemical is a carcinogen, and may interfere with human development. This compound has been found in unhealthy liver and kidney cells.
- Triclosan : found in anti-bacterial products. This is killing all of the bad and good bacterial in our bodies. Which can lead to a suppressed immune system, and auto-immune diseases.
Top Essential Oils for your Hair
Essential Oils are very beneficial for every part of the body including the hair. They may be able to stimulate growth, strength, and shine. By adding a few drops into your shampoo, you can effectively apply them for a long lasting effect.
DIYing your own hair care products is another great way to ensure the bad ingredients are out and the good are in. I encourage you to create your own products and have included a couple of my favorite recipes.
Remember when you are making your own products, you want to ensure that your ingredients are safe and natural. Make sure that your essential oils are tested and sourced properly.
- LAVENDER : optimizes and balances hormones, keeping hair shiny and combating dandruff
- GERANIUM : hormone balancing and specifically strengthens hair
- SANDALWOOD : strengthens hair, split ends, and promotes healthy hormone balance
- TEA TREE : cleansing, gentle, and great for deterring any creepy crawlies
- ROSEMARY: balancing both oily and dry hair, stimulates growth, increases scalp circulation